Subject: Resolv abnormalities

From: Jeremy Kister <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 18:50:09 -0500

Using the new Resolv feature of 20050207, I'm getting seemingly random
DNS lookup failures.  These failures are few and far apart.  Argus sends
an alert saying an object is down, and then in a few seconds sends an
alert saying it's back up.

for example:

name TCP/FTP
status down
...because cannot resolve hostname
hostname jeremy-03
port 21

Thu 10 Feb 16:04:34 2005  up  TRANSITION - up
Thu 10 Feb 16:03:20 2005  down  TRANSITION - down

using 'dig' on the recursive servers in /etc/resolv.conf during the
alleged DNS failure produces the expected records.

note that all recursive servers in /etc/resolv.conf are served by
dnscache of djbdns, the most elegant dns package in the world.

I was going to start mucking with the Resolv key:value pairs (from
config-new.html), but dont have enough confidence that I know what they
do (frequency and timeout are not listed Config Params).

-- 

Jeremy Kister
http://jeremy.kister.net/

---

From: "Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 21:31:54 -0500

>alert saying it's back up.

I initially had the same exact problem.. Until I realized that the 
resolver uses only the nameserver listed and will no longer use the 
/etc/hosts file..  Once I realized this I was able to make appropriate 
changes to the configuration to make it work..

Is it possible you have something similar?

-- 
---------------------------
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
Engine / Technology Programmer
[email-masked]
RedHat Certified - RHCE # 803004140609871
MySQL Pro Certified - ID# 207171862
MySQL Core Certified - ID# 205982910
---------------------------
"Something mysterious is formed, born in the silent void. Waiting alone and unmoving, it is at once still and yet in constant motion. It is the source of all programs. I do not know its name, so I will call it the Tao of Programming."