Subject: Re: Cisco PingMib service

From: Jeff Weisberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 10:15:19 -0400 (EDT)

| I'd like to write a new service for Argus, to add support for Cisco's
| ping mib (which asks the router to perform a ping).
| 
| I've written an external program which does it, but I'd like to write it
| as a builtin service, so I can take advantage of the config file a bit
| better. (And avoid having community strings viewable via the web
| interface)
| 
| Can anyone give me some quick hints as to how I'd go about it. (I'm
| thinking along the lines of creating a sub-class of SNMP, but I'd like
| to hear from people in the know first)

well, the 'quick hint' is 'read the source'.
it is a bit more complex than sub-classing SNMP, since you
need to perform a series of different snmp queries.

and, FYI, adding support for RFC-2925 remote ping
is on my TODO list, but it will be a while.

	--jeff

---

From: Michael Samuel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 16:22:21 +1000

> need to perform a series of different snmp queries.

Yeah, I've read through it.  The biggest pitfall seems to be the lack of
snmpset support.  Maybe I should subclass/hack Prog, and have it pass
certain variables via the environment. (Maybe have config support for
defining Prog classes, and choosing which config variables to pass via
the environment??)

> is on my TODO list, but it will be a while.

It looks very similar to the Cisco ping mib, but doesn't have support
for specifying the vrf (the main reason I want support for the Cisco
pingmib - otherwise I'd just use Argus' built in ping).

-- 
Michael Samuel <[email-masked]>

You don't want people thinking they have options,
merely because they do.