Subject: Re: Graphing troubles

From: Jeff Weisberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:58:35 -0400 (EDT)

| The gdata directory is still empty.  <sad>No pretty pictures.</sad>
[...]

| Group "Myself" {
|         graph: yes

is "graphd" running?
if not, does it complain if you run it by hand?

  > prompt%  $libdir/graphd

	--jeff

---

From: Jared Crapo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:08:42 -0600

> if not, does it complain if you run it by hand?
graphd was not running; running it by hand gave:

$ perl $libdir/graphd
GRAPHD: restarted

I did notice that the perms on graphd were 644.  I changed them to 755,
and argus seemed to be able to start graphd by itself.  Now that graphd
is running, I have files in $datadir/gdata.  One step closer.  Although
~100k in size, the files seemed to be quite empty, ie binary files with
"holes" (od is my friend).  I let argus run overnight, and they filled
up with data.

I still didn't get any graphs.  $datadir/gcache had png files of 0
length.  I tried deleting them, hoping they would get regenerated.  They
did, but they are still 0 length.  After browsing the cgi program, I saw
that the graphs get generated by a program, appropriately named,
picasso.   It didn't have execute permissions.  Changing perms to 755,
and voila, pretty graphs.

Just for the record, larry wall would be pleased with the argus source
code, for it's artistic merits.  For those on the list who may not be
inclined to read perl code, please indulge me for posting a couple of
tasty snippets.

>From MonEl.pl:

# What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
sub air_speed_velocity {
    my $swallow = shift;
}

guido van rossum would be pleased.

Also from MonEl.pl:

# some cleaning down the tables with wet sponges
#   -- Homer, Odyssey
sub janitor {
<snip>
}

>From Web.pm:
# they could hear Circe within, singing most beautifully as she worked
# at her loom, making a web so fine, so soft, and of such dazzling
colours
# as no one but a goddess could weave.
#   -- Homer, Odyssey

sub web_build {
<snip>
}

And lastly, my personal favorite, from picasso.pl:

# Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.
#   -- Picasso

J