Subject: Auto Summaries

From: Michael Samuel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 16:21:10 +1000

Hi,

I was thinking about implementing auto-summaries for notifications, so
that if more than 1 item (or a configurable number) in a group goes down
at the same time, it sends a notification for the group, rather than one
for each item.

Is anyone familiar with the codebase able to give me some quickstart
pointers?

---

From: Jeremy Kister <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 02:34:39 -0400

> at the same time, it sends a notification for the group, rather than one

You can modify qtime and nolotsmsgs in the notification method.  making 
qtime greather than 0 delays notification for x seconds and waits for 
more notifications.  then after x seconds, argus will send one message 
containing all the notifications within that period.  nolotsmsgs will 
show each notification rather than the "lots of stuff went down" summary.

so you might want to add to your config:
Method "mail" {
   nolotsmsgs: yes # no lots of stuff just went down
   qtime:      10  # gather notifications for 10 seconds
   command:    sendmail -t
   send:       To: %R\nFrom:%F\nSubject: Argus %E\n\n%M\n
}

-- 

Jeremy Kister
http://jeremy.kister.net./