Subject: Re: monitor free disk space

From: Jeff Weisberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 12:33:16 -0400 (EDT)

| I am doing a bit of tidy up on my argus setup, one of the things I have
| intended to change for a while is how I monitor free disk space on a number
| of servers, currently I have a small script that calculates the free space
| and returns a code if there is a problem I make this available via the web
| interface, and call this from argus.

either SNMP,
or argus comes with an 'argus-agent' script
that can report disk usage, load, network stats,
etc. to argus.

there is an example in the examples directory, but
you'll probably need to do some figuring out.

---

From: Roger Fishwick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 17:52:48 +0100

> either SNMP,
I started out down this route and hit some problem which I honestly can't 
remember, which resulted in the current temporary (12 months ago) kluge.

> you'll probably need to do some figuring out.

well now that's interesting, I remember looking at this (and have just 
looked again) and I am missing part of the story.  The examples dir has a 
config-agent which looks interesting and I can 'figure' but I never did 
work out what/where the agent was so I could install it on a another 
machine and play...

It's in argus-3.4/built I'm a <insert word here> !

I shall try this route.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions every one.

Regards,
Roger

-- 
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.1.392 / Virus Database: 268.5.6/336 - Release Date: 10/05/2006

---

From: "Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 12:03:59 -0400

Roger Fishwick wrote:
> looked again) and I am missing part of the story.  The examples dir 
> has a config-agent which looks interesting and I can 'figure' but I 
> never did work out what/where the agent was so I could install it on a 
> another machine and play...

I've been using argus-agent for ..  wow.. it has to be over a year or 
more now..  Anyways, it works out perfectly.  In fact, I've extended it 
a little bit on my own to add some other monitoring as well..  :)  Very 
versatile..  I love argus..  Best thing out there!

-- 
--
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
[email-masked]

"Live in the present, remember the past and fear not the future for it
doesn't exist and never shall.  There is only now."
 - Saphira