Subject: TCP/HTTPS makes argus restart

From: Dariush Forouher <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Mar 2004 09:22:49 +0100

Hello!

After upgrading from 3.2.1 to 3.3 Argus seems to have a bug concerning
the TCP/HTTPS service: Directly after performing this test Argus
restarts (which is a bit nasty if you have a frequency of 60s ;).

I'm running Argus on Debian GNU/Linux 3.0. The concerning Webserver is a
Apache-SSL (Apache/1.3.26 Ben-SSL/1.48) and runs on the same machine as
Argus does.

In parallel I run IMAPS,POPS,SMTPS and NNTPS, no one of these has the
same bug.

Does anybody have a clue what's causing this?

regards
Dariush

This is the extract of my argus.conf, it's quite simple:

Host "cassiopeia"
  {
    countstop: yes

    Service UDP/NFSv3
    Service TCP/HTTPS {
       uname: apachessl
    }
    Service Ping  
       graph: yes
    }

  }

And this is a syslog extract after enabling "debug: yes":

Mar 24 19:17:07 cassiopeia Argus[17264]: Control server: listening on
unix//var/argus/control
Mar 24 19:17:07 cassiopeia Argus[17264]: successful restart - Argus
running
Mar 24 19:17:10 cassiopeia graphd[17275]: restarted 
Mar 24 19:17:51 cassiopeia Argus[17264]: DEBUG -
Top:Server:cassiopeia:apachessl - [] Service start
Mar 24 19:17:51 cassiopeia Argus[17264]: DEBUG -
Top:Server:cassiopeia:apachessl - [9] TCP Start: connecting - tcp/443,
cassiopeia, try 1
Mar 24 19:17:51 cassiopeia Argus[17264]: DEBUG -
Top:Server:cassiopeia:apachessl - [9] TCP - connected
Mar 24 19:17:51 cassiopeia Argus[17264]: DEBUG -
Top:Server:cassiopeia:apachessl - [9] SSL init
Mar 24 19:17:51 cassiopeia Argus[17264]: DEBUG -
Top:Server:cassiopeia:apachessl - [9] SSL init ok
Mar 24 19:17:51 cassiopeia Argus[17264]: DEBUG -
Top:Server:cassiopeia:apachessl - [9] TCP/SSL connect
Mar 24 19:17:51 cassiopeia Argus[17264]: DEBUG -
Top:Server:cassiopeia:apachessl - [9] TCP/SSL connect ok
Mar 24 19:17:51 cassiopeia Argus[17264]: DEBUG -
Top:Server:cassiopeia:apachessl - [9] SSL writing
Mar 24 19:17:51 cassiopeia Argus[17264]: DEBUG -
Top:Server:cassiopeia:apachessl - [9] SSL - wrote -1 bytes
Mar 24 19:17:55 cassiopeia Argus[17306]: syslog configured: daemon 
Mar 24 19:18:08 cassiopeia Argus[17306]: Control server: listening on
unix//var/argus/control
Mar 24 19:18:08 cassiopeia Argus[17306]: successful restart - Argus
running
Mar 24 19:18:10 cassiopeia graphd[17317]: restarted

---

From: Jeff Weisberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 15:12:12 -0500 (EST)

| Without knowing the Argus source or Net::SSLeay in detail the root of
| this problem seems to be lying in the non-existens of the function
| 'want_write'.
| Version 1.08 of Net::SSLeay doesn't have this file while the current
| version 1.25 does have it.
| After upgrading this perl module to the new version the problem is gone!

thanks. I'll make note of the incompatibility.

	--jeff