Subject: Re: tools for monitoring HDD usage and CPU usage

From: Paulus Tanudjaja <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:34:19 +1000

Paulus Tanudjaja wrote:

>_______________________________________________
>http://argus.tcp4me.com/
>[email-masked]
>http://www.tcp4me.com/mailman/listinfo/arguslist
>
>  
>
I was just wondering whether this mailing list support html mail or not, 
cause my previous mail and Jeremy Kister's mail didn't show any content 
on my Thunderbird.

Thanks,

Paulus

---

From: Paulus Tanudjaja <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:55:56 +1000

Hi guys,

I guess my first mail didn't make it there.

Anyway here it goes,

My name is Paulus, and I am a beginner user of Argus. I would like to 
know whether someone can help me with argus monitoring capabilities for 
HDD space and CPU usage. I have read that Argus can actually use SNMP to 
get the data about the CPU usage and HDD space, but when I tried to use 
it, Argus keep giving me a red sign.

Here is the code that I use for that:

            Service UDP/SNMP {
            oid: .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.3.3.1.6.1
            maxvalue: .8
            label: HDD1
            retries: 5
            }

and the result is:

            name: UDP/SNMP
            status: down
            note: ---
            hostname: ---
            port: 161
            SNMP oid: .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.3.3.1.6.1

I have turned on the service for SNMP on that machine by using 
add/remove Windows component on Windows 2000. Basically I use Argus for 
monitoring systems such as Linux FC3, Windows 2000, and Windows XP. So 
far, I only use Argus to do a simple ping and also DICOM ping for some 
of the servers.

I was just wondering whether anyone can help me by providing sample 
codes for each operating system ( Win 2000, Win XP, and UNIX box). Most 
of the machine here that I use are DELL machines, i don't know whether 
that will make a difference on the OID or not.

Thank you very much for your help,

Paulus Tanudjaja
Network and Desktop Support Officer