Subject: Re: endless notify's

From: Jeff Weisberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 13:59:18 -0400 (EDT)

| i just got argus going and love it.. i seem to be getting endless
| email's like below.. i had snmp monitoring setup initially, but now i
| dont have it setup, and  i dont have any notify's setup therefore i
| would think i shouldn't be getting these:
| 
| Subject: Argus RESENT
| 28929 Top:<hostname>:SNMP_.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.1_<fqdn> is DOWN
| - 06/Apr 16:43
| 
| the "06/Apr 16:43" is the same on all the emails, not sure why it keeps
| getting sent.. 
| 
| any help appreciated, 

you have not acknowledged the notification and have not enabled autoack.

	http://argus.tcp4me.com/notif.html

---

From: august macbeth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 11:36:02 -0700

Jeff, 

thanks for the reply. there is nothing in the "Unacked Notifications"
page, and i have since changed the config quite a bit.. how can i still
be getting this? is there any way to manually clear the queue? 

thanks, 
~august

* Jeff Weisberg <[email-masked]>
  |__ Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 01:59:18PM -0400:
> _______________________________________________
> http://argus.tcp4me.com/
> [email-masked]
> http://www.tcp4me.com/mailman/listinfo/arguslist

---

From: Neil Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 12:47:53 -0600

Hi August,

Make sure you only have one instance of argus running.

Try running 'argusctl shutdown' multiple times until there are no argus 
process running, then run 'argusd' once to start it again.

Hope that helps,
Neil

---

From: august macbeth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 12:02:30 -0700

Neil, 

thanks for the reply.. interesting, ps aux brought back the following
initially: 

root     31493  0.0  0.4  3908 2340 pts/2    T    Apr06   0:00
/usr/bin/perl /usr/local/sbin/argusctl -k console
root     17410  0.0  0.6  4592 3508 ?        S    Apr08   0:07
/usr/bin/perl /usr/local/lib/argus/graphd daemon

i ran argusctl shutdown and it killed the graphd daemon but i manually
had to kill the argusctl -k console pid twice to get it to go away...
after it was all shutoff i ran /etc/init.c/argus start but now 'ps aux'
isn't showing any argus processes.. the page seems to be running ok but
i'm not really clear on how it stays up, does the cgi script do all the
work, or should there be an actual daemon running? 

thanks, 
august

* Neil Campbell <[email-masked]>

---

From: Neil Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 13:22:07 -0600

There should be a daemon running.

Best way to check that things are running is to use the Log File - there 
should be an entry such as:

[2004/3/25 9:27:29] [28657] successful restart - Argus running

If not, there will be an error message indicating where the problem lies.

Neil

---

From: august macbeth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 13:47:28 -0700

Neil, 

after shutting down/manually killing all the processes i'm still getting
the RESENT messages sent every 5 minutes. 

lemme check out a few things: 

diablo# argusctl shutdown
ARGUS/2.0 200 OK
[1]+  Killed                  argusctl -k console  (wd: /var/argus)
(wd now: /usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/cgi-bin)

...checked to see, and there are no argus processes running. starting it
back up:

/etc/init.d/argus start prints this to the syslog: 

Apr  9 13:38:55 diablo Argus[25777]: syslog configured: daemon
Apr  9 13:38:57 diablo Argus[25777]: Control server: listening on
unix//var/argus/control
Apr  9 13:38:57 diablo Argus[25777]: successful restart - Argus running

...but right after that last line, i could see postfix sending out
another notify about snmp being down so something is still sending it
out.. 

what about manually removing everything in notify/ is that safe to do?

~august

---

From: august macbeth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 15:14:08 -0700

OK something is whacked.. even with argus completley shutdown.. i'm
still getting the messages!!! how the!???!?!?!?!?!

~august

* august macbeth <[email-masked]>

---

From: Neil Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 17:28:53 -0600

Not sure what's going on, sorry!

Good luck,
Neil