Subject: Problems accessing arguscgi

From: Neil Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 23:43:47 +0000

Hi,

I'm in the proccess of setting up Argus on a system and am having a problem that
I was wondering if anyone could help with.

Argus is running fine (log file says "Argus running", and I've received some
notifications for an issue I already know about).

I've setup a SunONE web server and have a basic HelloWorld perl script running
no problems in the cgi-bin directory.

However, when I access: http://localhost:8080/cgi-bin/arguscgi I get "Server
Error".  Checking the web server log file I get the following message:

"[08/Jan/2004:16:32:46] failure ( 2229): for host 127.0.0.1 trying to GET
/cgi-bin/argus, cgi_scan_headers reports: HTTP4044: the CGI program
/opt/SUNWwbsvr/cgi-bin/argus did not produce a valid header (program terminated
without a valid CGI header. Check for core dump or other abnormal termination)"

Running arguscgi from the command line I get:

bash-2.05# perl argus
Status: 302 Moved
location: http://localhost/argus?func=login

bash-2.05#

and so all seems to be acting as expected.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks,
Neil Campbell

--

---

From: "Jeremy Kister" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 19:18:18 -0500

> However, when I access: http://localhost:8080/cgi-bin/arguscgi I get
"Server
[..]
> /opt/SUNWwbsvr/cgi-bin/argus did not produce a valid header (program
[..]
> location: http://localhost/argus?func=login

I don't know much about sun's webserver; I'll start at a more basic level..
you've referenced 'arguscgi' in some places, and 'argus' in some places..
have you re-named/linked 'arguscgi' to 'argus' ?  Just to give it a try, i
renamed my arguscgi to argus, and all still seemed to work ok

also, what happens if you load
http://localhost:8080/cgi-bin/arguscgi?func=login ?

Jeremy Kister
www.jeremykister.com/jeremy/

---

From: Neil Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 00:40:49 +0000

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for getting back to me.

> renamed my arguscgi to argus, and all still seemed to work ok

My fault - I'd used argus as opposed to arguscgi for the link in the cgi-bin
directory.  But when sending the email I thought I'd change it to arguscgi just
to make it clear what I was doing.

Ended up making it more confusing by not chaning it everywhere - apologies.

I've now made the link arguscgi and that's all I'm using :-)

> http://localhost:8080/cgi-bin/arguscgi?func=login ?
 
This still gives me exactly the same error in the web servers log.

I've also tried hard-coding a CGI Header into the arguscgi file,
i.e. put the line: 
print "Content-type:text/html\n\n"; 
near the top of the file before any other output.

This brings a different no error but just gives a blank HTML page:
<html><body></body></html>

I wasn't expecting this to provide a solution just thought I'd give it a go -
and have since removed this line so presently the arguscgi file is unchanged
from the one downloaded.

Thanks for the help,
Neil

> _______________________________________________
> http://argus.tcp4me.com/
> [email-masked]
> http://www.tcp4me.com/mailman/listinfo/arguslist
> 

--

---

From: Jeff Weisberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 14:23:47 -0500 (EST)

| This still gives me exactly the same error in the web servers log.
| 
| I've also tried hard-coding a CGI Header into the arguscgi file,
| i.e. put the line: 
| print "Content-type:text/html\n\n"; 
| near the top of the file before any other output.
| 
| This brings a different no error but just gives a blank HTML page:
| <html><body></body></html>

I've never used sun's web server, and don't really have any
suggestions as to what is wrong or where to look, 

but either something is misconfigured or the web server is doing
something odd, as I don't see any way that arguscgi could be
producing the above output.

	--jeff

---

From: Neil Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 19:36:23 +0000

Hi Jeff,

> producing the above output.

Thanks for looking into it anyway.  

I've got a few things I'm looking into at the moment and I'll post the fix here
once I get it going

Neil

--

---

From: Neil Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 06:56:59 +0000

Just a follow-up for the archive on the issue I was having getting argus setup 
with the SunONE Web Server (iplanet).  

Despite iplanet's error message of there not being a valid header the problem 
was simply a file permission error.  This is documented in the Argus FAQ #3.

Thanks,
Neil