Subject: handling snmp traps with argus

From: Matt Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:41:37 -0700

I'd like to be able to receive snmp traps from some of our gear and 
alert accordingly in argus and am looking for some pointers (heck even 
RTFMs).. so far I'm not doing so hot on my searching and any help would 
be appreciated.

---

From: "Trond Bekken" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:17:20 +0100

> RTFMs).. so far I'm not doing so hot on my searching and any help
would 

Well, I haven't tried this myself, but it might be worth looking at:
- install net-snmp (http://www.net-snmp.org)
- use snmpd and snmptrapd:
NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB SUPPORT
As of net-snmp 5.0, the snmptrapd application supports the
NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB. It does this by opening an AgentX subagent
connection to the master snmpd agent and registering the notification
log tables. As long as the snmpd application is started first, it will
attach itself to it and thus you should be able to view the last
recorded notifications via the nlmLogTable and nlmLogVariableTable. See
the snmptrapd.conf file and the "dontRetainLogs" token for turning off
this support. See the NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB for more details about the
MIB itself.
- use Argus to watch the tables using SNMP

Possibly irrelevant, but:
You can also translate the trap information by using a SNMP Trap
Translator (http://www.snmptt.org/) and show it on your web site
(http://snmptt-gui.sourceforge.net/)

Regards, Trond

(In compliance with the Security Policy of Rikshospitalet , the content
of this message (including any attachments) is of a non-sensitive
nature)

---

From: Jeff Weisberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 16:26:41 -0500 (EST)

| I'd like to be able to receive snmp traps from some of our gear and 
| alert accordingly in argus and am looking for some pointers (heck even 
| RTFMs).. so far I'm not doing so hot on my searching and any help would 
| be appreciated.

argus does not receive snmp traps.
argus monitors things by polling.

	--jeff