Subject: Monitor packet loss

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 18:13:00 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

Is there a recommend way to monitor packet loss? Maybe like scripting 
fping?

Thanks.

RayC

-- 
--

---

From: "Frithiof Jensen (AH/LMD)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 11:17:35 +0200

> Is there a recommend way to monitor packet loss? Maybe like 
> scripting fping?

There should be counters on network interfaces that measure such things
- the easiest way to get at them might be to use SNMP (bletch) and have
Argus plot the values (Argus supports SNMP). 

Or setup Cacti next to Argus for "plotting stuff" (that's what I did)

Via SNMP there should be a table of individual interfaces in the
"ifTable" group and a summary of all interface stats in the "ipGroup". 

Now - What information is availablem and sometimes how it is organised
is sadly "platform dependent" so you will need to fiddle with SNMP and
Object ID's (OID's) to get something you can use. 

NetSNMP (Linux) comes with a "MIB Browser" - the tool needed to discover
what is there and what it is called (It's OID). Once the OID's are
known, it is easy to plug it into Argus.

---

From: "Mark Duling" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 14:13:13 -0700

Discussion about Argus <[email-masked]> on Monday, June 18, 2007 at
>Is there a recommend way to monitor packet loss? Maybe like scripting 

Smokeping is the best at that.  It monitors fping (and echoping), graphs,
and alerts you when user-defined loss thresholds are reached.

http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/

Mark