Subject: Hep installing Argus on Lighttpd

From: cippa lippa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 03:29:50 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
I've been trying for a few of days to install Argus on a debian box with Lighttpd with modest resutls... 

I'm using the latest version of argus, and I have enabled mod_cgi in lighttpd.conf. Argus is running fine (I receive email alerts in case of snmp errors) but I can't access the Web interface... 

I must note I'm running argus as root at the moment. 
Now, it's obvious I'm having some file permissions problem, but I don't know how to fix it. I'm not saying I don't know ho to change file permissions under linux, but that I don't know how to set 'em up for Argus...

Here are the folders as setup in Makefile, and some file/folder permissions:

#### This section automagically generated by Configure
PERL=/usr/bin/perl
SENDMAIL=/usr/sbin/sendmail
QPAGE=
FPING=/usr/bin/fping
FPING6=/usr/bin/fping6
DATABASE=DB_File
HAVE_GD=0
AUTH_FILE=web_auth_file.pl
UPGRADING=
INSTALL_BIN=/usr/bin
INSTALL_SBIN=/usr/sbin
INSTALL_CGI=/usr/lib/cgi-bin
INSTALL_LIB=/usr/lib/argus
INSTALL_DATA=/var/argus
INSTALL_WWW=/var/www

Here some file/dir permissions:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1597 mar  6 11:26 /usr/bin/argus-config

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 7057 mar  6 11:26 /usr/sbin/argus-agent
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1569 mar  6 11:26 /usr/sbin/argusctl
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6029 mar  6 11:26 /usr/sbin/argusd

luc@debian:~/argus/argus-dev-20120107$ ll /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
totale 28
-rwxr-xr-x 1 www-data www-data  9560 mar  6 11:26 arguscgi
-rwxr-xr-x 1 www-data www-data 14700 mar  6 11:26 argusvxml

luc@debian:~/argus/argus-dev-20120107$ ll /var/www/
totale 96
-rw-r--r-- 1 root     root      8387 mar  6 11:26 argus.css
-rw-r--r-- 1 root     root      1337 mar  6 11:26 argus.js
-rw-r--r-- 1 root     root      2627 mar  6 11:26 argus.logo.gif
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data  3585 mar  1 16:33 index.lighttpd.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 root     root        84 mar  6 11:26 nospkr.gif
-rw-r--r-- 1 root     root        97 mar  6 11:26 sad.gif
-rw-r--r-- 1 root     root        97 mar  6 11:26 sadred.gif
-rw-r--r-- 1 root     root        97 mar  6 11:26 smile.gif
-rw-r--r-- 1 root     root     54080 mar  6 11:26 whoopwhoop.wav

luc@debian:~/argus/argus-dev-20120107$ ll /var/argus/
totale 48
-rwxrwxrw-  1 www-data www-data 1272 mar  6 12:26 config
-rwxrwxrw-  1 www-data www-data 2979 mar  6 11:26 config.example
srwxrwxrwx  1 root     root        0 mar  6 11:54 control
drwxrwxrw-  2 www-data www-data 4096 mar  6 11:26 gcache
drwxrwxrw- 28 www-data www-data 4096 mar  6 11:54 gdata
drwxrwxrw- 28 www-data www-data 4096 mar  6 11:54 html
drwxrwxrw-  2 www-data www-data 4096 mar  6 11:26 locale
-rwxrwxrw-  1 www-data www-data   70 mar  6 11:54 log
drwxrwxrw-  2 www-data www-data 4096 mar  6 11:59 notify
-rwxrwxrw-  1 www-data www-data    6 mar  6 11:59 notno
drwxrwxrw-  2 www-data www-data 4096 mar  6 11:26 perl
drwxrwxrw- 28 www-data www-data 4096 mar  6 11:54 stats
-rwxrwxrw-  1 www-data www-data  163 mar  6 11:42 users

Thank you for any hints!

---

From: cippa lippa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 05:29:40 -0800 (PST)

Ok, I made a small step forward. There is a little problem in Debian with lighttpd and cgi-bin (see 
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=345554).
The solution was simply adding the two following lines to lighttpd.conf and enabling mod_alias and mod_cgi (they already were by defaults):

$HTTP["url"] =~ "/cgi-bin/" { cgi.assign = ( "" => "" ) }
alias.url = ( "/cgi-bin/" => "/usr/lib/cgi-bin/" )
Now, I can access http://myhost/cgi-bin/arguscgi

But I get back a "Unable to access Top 200 OK" error, which  I really think is related to wrong permissions...

Luc

----- Messaggio originale -----
Da: cippa lippa <[email-masked]>
A: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Cc: 
Inviato: Martedì 6 Marzo 2012 12:29
Oggetto: Hep installing Argus on Lighttpd

Hi,