Subject: Development Version features

From: Jeff Sherk Forerunner Ministries <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 10:29:31 -0500

Hi

I just discovered Argus ... what a great application!

What sort of new features are in the 20100109 development version?

Is it stable enough to use for production, or is it still 'not 
developed' enough yet.

Thanks

---

From: Andrew D Kirch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 13:21:48 -0500

Argus is extremely mature, and I've been using it in production for
about 8 years.  In a previous iteration of $(WORK) I was responsible for
monitoring the external services and connectivity of 30 clients, and
used Argus to accomplish this.

I highly recommend it any time you can figure out a way to monitor
things without having to use nagios (jeff please write an argus agent!)

Andrew

On 2/7/2010 10:29 AM, Jeff Sherk Forerunner Ministries wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> http://argus.tcp4me.com/
> [email-masked]
> http://www.tcp4me.com/mailman/listinfo/arguslist

---

From: Jeff Sherk Forerunner Ministries <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 15:57:54 -0500

Thanks for reply Andrew...

I was specifically wondering about the Development version (Jan 9, 2010) 
versus the Stable version (v3.6 Oct 27, 2008) ... Is there any reason I 
should not use the development version because it is perhaps been 
completely re-written and is still unstable, or is it just some bug 
fixes and enhancements but should probably work just as well as the 
stable version?

Thanks

---

From: Jeff Weisberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 16:11:04 -0500

On 7 Feb, 2010, at 15:57, Jeff Sherk Forerunner Ministries wrote:

> I was specifically wondering about the Development version (Jan 9,  
> 2010) versus the Stable version (v3.6 Oct 27, 2008) ... Is there any  
> reason I should not use the development version because it is  
> perhaps been completely re-written and is still unstable, or is it  
> just some bug fixes and enhancements but should probably work just  
> as well as the stable version?

I'm going say mostly minor bug fix fixes and enhancements.
I'm running the jan 9 dev version on my production systems.

---

From: Jeff Weisberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 16:11:14 -0500

> things without having to use nagios (jeff please write an argus  

2 questions:

- is there something that nagios can monitor that argus can't?

- different than the "argus-agent" that comes with argus? explain?

---

From: Jeff Sherk Forerunner Ministries <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 16:15:14 -0500

Ok thanks... I will install the dev version then!

On 2/7/2010 4:11 PM, Jeff Weisberg wrote:
>> reason I should not use the development version because it is perhaps 
>> been completely re-written and is still unstable, or is it just some 
>> bug fixes and enhancements but should probably work just as well as 
>> the stable version?
>
>

---

From: Andrew D Kirch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 17:21:16 -0500

Ok, wait there's an argus agent that I've missed?  Darn I guess I'm
gonna skip the super bowl and play with it...

And I'm from Indiana!