Subject: LDAP authentication

From: Jeff D <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 20:07:57 -0600

does argus offer/support LDAP/apache authentication?  this is critical  
for my system.  I have searched some of the archives and have not  
found any reference to this feature.  any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Jeff D

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:27:19 +0000 (UTC)

On 9 Jan 2007 20:07:57 -0600,
> found any reference to this feature.  any help would be appreciated.

You could sync Argus' users file with your LDAP passwords, if they are
stored in Unix crypt() format. We are doing a similar thing getting the
passwords from the system password db with a little Python script:

#!/usr/bin/python

import pwd, sys

userfile = "/etc/argus/users"

lines = open(userfile, "r").readlines()

output = []

changed = None

for line in lines:
    user, password, object, groups = line.split('\t')

    uname, newpasswd, uid, gid, gecos, home, shell = pwd.getpwnam(user)

    if password != newpasswd:

        sys.stderr.write("%s has password changed\n" % user)

        changed = 1

    output.append("%s\t%s\t%s\t%s" % (user, newpasswd, object, groups))

if changed:

    open(userfile, "w").write("".join(output))

Greetings
-- 
Robert Sander                     Senior Manager Information Systems
Epigenomics AG    Kleine Praesidentenstr. 1    10178 Berlin, Germany
phone:+49-30-24345-0                            fax:+49-30-24345-555
http://www.epigenomics.com             [email-masked]

---

From: stevek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:00:09 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, Jeff D wrote:

> does argus offer/support LDAP/apache authentication?  this is critical for my 
> system.  I have searched some of the archives and have not found any 
> reference to this feature.  any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Jeff D

Jeff, we use ldap for argus authentication. We tie it in through pam. 
Works great.

------------------------------------
Steven Kent
Chief Technical Officer
onShore Networks
http://www.onshore.com
fingerprint: pub  1024D/D2779F66 2004-04-07