Subject: RE: no web interface

From: Jeff Weisberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 11:37:15 -0500 (EST)

| However, I do agree that the documentation is very weak and you have to
| do a lot of trial and error until it "clicks" for you, and you see the
| simplicity of it - a problem that could be easily fixed with just a
| basic "getting started" & and "for example" type guide (which doesn't
| exist).

as the author, the documentation is just right and obvious.

but also as the author, I've never been a new user, and
perhaps don't have a good perspective on what is and isn't
clear to a new user.

it would be great if someone else were to add a basic
"getting started" and "for example" type guide to the wiki:

	http://argus.tcp4me.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl

---

From: "Alexandru E. Ungur" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 19:54:30 +0200

>>> sender: "Jeff Weisberg" date: "Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:37:15AM -0500" <<<EOQ
> 
> 
As an once new user I found your docummentation very precise and to the point.
I could configure argus in a matter of minutes following the steps outlined
here: http://argus.tcp4me.com/install.html
 
> 	http://argus.tcp4me.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl

I for one, don't think anybody could put it more clear and simple. 
Besides, there are very high chances that if someone can't follow those 
simple 13 steps to install argus, they really do not needed it at all :)
I really can't imagine a situation where somebody would like to monitor
servers, but wouldn't be able to follow that simple install doc...

All the best,
Alex

P.S. this new wiki style looks nice :)

---

From: George Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 13:00:46 -0500

Jeff Weisberg wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> http://argus.tcp4me.com/
> [email-masked]
> http://www.tcp4me.com/mailman/listinfo/arguslist

when i got started with argus i definitely had to re-read the 
documentation many times.

but this is entirely normal when learning something new.  this is simply 
an investment one must put in to reap the benefits of the system.

no documentation is ever perfect but the argus docs are farther along 
than most FOSS projects and certainly far enough along to get one well 
on his way.

---

From: Roger Fishwick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 01:11:27 +0000

>> 	http://argus.tcp4me.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl

I thought I would go back and check the web site as I had missed this, 
still can not find it mentioned ? Having said that I can not find anything 
in the wiki which is not in the documents that are on the site !

BTW link "Remote Monitoring Service - Monitor 4 Me" is broken

> an investment one must put in to reap the benefits of the system.

The documentation + example configs (+ some work) mostly give you what you 
need, I think there is a missing document that lists all of the (for what 
of a better way to say it) syntax and semantics for the configuration 
'language', I have no idea how you would do it.  I found the problem is 
when you start to move from basic to more complex setups you spend time 
playing the i bet you can do x now how would they do it ...guess... yes 
or... check the code game.

Still it is a great project that I really like and appreciate a lot (even 
when my pager goes at 03:30)

Roger

-- 
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.1.371 / Virus Database: 267.14.16/225 - Release Date: 09/01/2006