Subject: TCP/HTTPS Error

From: Scott Hiemstra <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 19:04:09 -0000

I have a website which is working properly and no SSL errors are being displayed in any of the browsers I have tried (IE, FF, Chrome, Opera, Safari).  Argus actually says the site is up, then I look at the "most recent result".

Most recent result:
HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error Connection: close Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 18:53:48 GMT Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0 X-Powered-By: ASP.NET Content-Length: 289 Content-Type: text/html Expires: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 17:53:48 GMT Set-Cookie: ASPSESSIONIDASSAAADC=MMONIENDDPGCOGIGACGFCJNB; path=/ Cache-control: private

Here is my config:
Service TCP/HTTPS {
	depends:	Top:Windows_Servers:Pomona:Ping_pomona.h2web.com
	hostname:	tickets.fallingwater.org
	label:	Falling Water Ticketing SSL
}

And my system config:
ARGUS/2.0 200 OK
status:    running
version:   dev-20100109
perlver:   5.8.8
osinfo:    Linux 2.6.18-194.11.3.el5 i686
darpmode:  master
objects:   381
services:  252
notifies:  146
uptime:    0:01:54
idle:      97.39%
monrate:   3.39 tests per second

Any thoughts?  I have already tried using TCP/URL but that just said the site was down.  Feel free to view the site in a browser: http://tickets.fallingwater.org.  If you do indeed find an SSL error, please let me know.

Thanks,
Scott

---

From: Jeremy Kister <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 17:22:23 -0400

On 9/20/2010 3:04 PM, Scott Hiemstra wrote:
>Argus actually says the site is up, then I look at the "most recent result".
>
> Most recent result:
> HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error
> Connection: close

the list mailman must have just been kicked.

On 9/23/2010 2:28 PM, jeff weisberg answered:
 > it looks like your developers are trying to serve different content
 > based on user-agent and botched it.
 >
 > if your developers can't fix it, you can add to your argus config:
 >
 >	browser: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0)

-- 

Jeremy Kister
http://jeremy.kister.net./

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 18:24:10 -0500

Hi,
Is this doable?

-Chirag.

-----Original Message-----
From: Parikh, Chirag (M RTT) 
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 1:58 AM
To: Discussion about Argus
Subject: Auto-discovery in a given subnet

Hi,
I'm actively using Argus and love its simplicity and flexibility. I have
encountered a scenario where I'm stuck. I need to configure so a
specific subnet is being scanned and report the objects that respond to
ping. That is if someone adds a machine in the network it should show up
in argus and start monitoring it with default services Ping and HTTP,
etc. How would I code this? Much thanks in advance!

Chirag.

---

From: Jeremy Kister <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 21:20:32 -0500

> in argus and start monitoring it with default services Ping and HTTP,

Argus will execute any files it finds in your config/ directory if you 
have made them executable.  if you have one big config file instead of a 
directory of little files, i recommend you start by making one file 
called 000_defins that has your standard Argus definitions.

you can make another file called 001_servers that is executable. in 
that, you can script in whatever language you want and output Argus config.

what you want sounds rather easy, so if you want to give me some more 
details I might be able to whip something up.

supposing we're scanning 10.0.0.0/24, and we find 10.0.0.2 is alive via 
ping, what should argus call this host?  do you have reverse dns 
configured ?

-- 

Jeremy Kister

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 11:04:05 -0500

Thanks Jeremy for your prompt response.

My requirement is actually quite simple. Let's say we want to monitor
10.0.0.0/24 and if someone puts up a system with IP, 10.0.0.2, Let Argus
call it the same, 10.0.0.2 and start monitoring it with default Service
Ping, HTTP and send necessary HUP to argusctl so new entry shows up in
web (or by any other means). Later, DNS name can be updated in Argus
config manually, once DNS push has been updated on our DNS servers. It
would be further nice if Argus can check periodically if DNS name is
updated or not on DNS servers (say by nslookup ??) and update its name
for 10.0.0.2 host accordingly in Argus config. Am I clear? Thanks again
for your help.

-Chirag.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Jeremy Kister
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 9:21 PM
To: Discussion about Argus
Subject: Re: Auto-discovery in a given subnet

you can make another file called 001_servers that is executable. in 
that, you can script in whatever language you want and output Argus
config.

-- 

Jeremy Kister

_______________________________________________
http://argus.tcp4me.com/
[email-masked]
http://www.tcp4me.com/mailman/listinfo/arguslist

---

From: "Howells, Bruce E" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 09:12:13 -0700

Sounds like you want to combine the executable-as-map feature with something like nmap, which can ping-sweep a subnet and do DNS lookups for found hosts.  If you use the IP address as the uname, you'll keep override and history even if the display name changes when the DNS record shows up.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2011 11:04 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Auto-discovery in a given subnet

-Chirag.

-----Original Message-----

-- 

Jeremy Kister

---

From: jeff weisberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 11:48:14 -0500

On Feb 3, 2011, at 9:20 PM, Jeremy Kister wrote:

> what you want sounds rather easy, so if you want to give me some  
> more details I might be able to whip something up.
>
> supposing we're scanning 10.0.0.0/24, and we find 10.0.0.2 is alive  
> via ping, what should argus call this host?  do you have reverse dns  
> configured ?

this sounds like it will do what he _says_ he wants to do,
but I doubt it is really what he wants.

I mean, we wouldn't want to stop monitoring something
that happens to be down when argus restarts.
That doesn't seem productive.

Hope that you only restart argus when everything is good?
That doesn't sound like a reliable solution.