Subject: Config file error, without error messages

From: yary <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 14:27:04 -0700

This is my last posting (for today), promise.

There are some cases where argus cannot parse the config file, but does not
complain.

For example, this works AOK-

Host "machine.asite.org" {
  Service TCP/DNS
}

On the other hand, Argus will not complain about this, but will act as if
this line and all groups/services following do not exist:

Host "machine.asite.org" { Service TCP/DNS }

I had a number of hosts with a single test that I tried making "look pretty"
by lining them up like the above, took a while to figure out how to fix. The
config docs don't mention that each group, service, and config attribute
needs to be on a line by itself. Would be good to document and for the
config parser to complain (or to allow single line definitions)

thanks

-y

---

From: Jeff Weisberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 20:41:19 -0400 (EDT)

| On the other hand, Argus will not complain about this, but will act as if
| this line and all groups/services following do not exist:
| 
| Host "machine.asite.org" { Service TCP/DNS }
| 
| I had a number of hosts with a single test that I tried making "look pretty"
| by lining them up like the above, took a while to figure out how to fix. The
| config docs don't mention that each group, service, and config attribute
| needs to be on a line by itself. Would be good to document

see:
    http://argus.tcp4me.com/config.html

    > Note, unlike C or Perl, you cannot
    > place the opening { on a different line

    > Also, the closing } must be on
    > a line by itself (with optional whitespace)