Subject: Prog return levels

From: "McKinnon, Joe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 13:10:05 +1000

Hi,

Is there a way for argus to be configured to automatically override
something, if for instance, a Prog service returns a status of 2.

IE
Return		Action
0		OK
1		Page problem
2		Automatically override

Reason, we are doing a number of tests on databases, and we'd love to
automatically override paging, if for example the database was down.  That
way we get paged for the database being down, but don't get multiple extra
pages as to other db check failures.

I'd be nice to be able to do the something the same for the built-in tests.
Yep nice to know the box is down, but don't really need to be told that
every service tested is also down.

Cheers Joe.

/**************************************************\
*                                                  *
* Joseph McKinnon BSc.                             *
* Systems/Database Administrator                   *
* Royal Automobile Club of Queensland              *
* Member, System Administrators Guild of Australia *
*                                                  *
* Phone: (07) 3361 2876                            *
*                                                  *
\**************************************************/ 

Please Note:

This communication has been sent on behalf of The Royal Automobile Club of
Queensland Limited (RACQ).  The information contained in this communication
may be privileged and confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient,
any use, disclosure or copying of this communication is expressly
prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please delete
it immediately.  RACQ and its associated entities do not warrant or
represent that this communication (including any enclosed files) is free
from electronic viruses, faults or defects.

---

From: Jeff Weisberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 12:30:59 -0500 (EST)

| Is there a way for argus to be configured to automatically override
| something, if for instance, a Prog service returns a status of 2.

no, but...

| Reason, we are doing a number of tests on databases, and we'd love to
| automatically override paging, if for example the database was down.  That
| way we get paged for the database being down, but don't get multiple extra
| pages as to other db check failures.
| 
| I'd be nice to be able to do the something the same for the built-in tests.
| Yep nice to know the box is down, but don't really need to be told that
| every service tested is also down.

you could configure a group for the server and put the notify
on the goup instead of each service:

	Host "mail.example.com" {

		sendnotify:	yes

		Service TCP/SMTP {
			sendnotify:	no
		}
		Service Ping {
			sendnotify:	no
		}

		# ...
	}

or, you could use depends:

	Host "mail.example.com" {

		Service Ping

		Service TC/SMTP {
			depends:	Top:mail.example.com:Ping_mail.example.com
			retries:	4
		}

		# ...
	}

| The information contained in this communication
| may be privileged and confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient,
| any use, disclosure or copying of this communication is expressly
| prohibited.

0) your email was sent to a public mailing list.

1) how do I know if the information is privileged or confidential?

2) how do I know if I am the intended recipient or not?

3) how does a person reading this on the web know?

	--jeff