Subject: RESENTs after up

From: Michael Costello <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 15:23:51 -0500

I am having a problem with Argus v3.4 in which notifications are sent
even after the object comes up.

Here, a test object is down, then comes up, then has two more down
notifications sent.  Renotify is set to 5 minutes.  Clocks are
syncrhonized.  Escalations are also resent after the object comes up.

(from root@localhost)	by bar (8.13.3/8.13.3/Submit) id
jA6Jqai9035633;	Sun, 6 Nov 2005 14:52:36 -0500 (EST)	(envelope-from
root)

49867 Top:foo:Servers:dummy:Ping_1.2.3.4 is DOWN - 06/Nov 14:37

(from root@localhost)	by bar (8.13.3/8.13.3/Submit) id
jA6JsaEo035675;	Sun, 6 Nov 2005 14:54:36 -0500 (EST)	(envelope-from
root)

49868 Top:foo:Servers:dummy:Ping_1.2.3.4 is UP - 06/Nov 14:53

(from root@localhost)	by bar (8.13.3/8.13.3/Submit) id
jA6JvaPk035728;	Sun, 6 Nov 2005 14:57:36 -0500 (EST)	(envelope-from
root)

49867 Top:foo:Servers:dummy:Ping_1.2.3.4 is DOWN - 06/Nov 14:37

(from root@localhost)	by bar (8.13.3/8.13.3/Submit) id
jA6K2ast035820;	Sun, 6 Nov 2005 15:02:36 -0500 (EST)	(envelope-from
root)

49867 Top:foo:Servers:dummy:Ping_1.2.3.4 is DOWN - 06/Nov 14:37

---

From: "Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 22:51:42 -0500

>syncrhonized.  Escalations are also resent after the object comes up.

As I understand it, an Up does not cause an Ack.  Therefore, the Ack
needs to "run out" as it were..

It would be nice, however, if it did auto-ack on an up..  :)  The
excessive downs are not necessary.. (at least, for me)

-- 
---------------------------
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
Engine / Technology Programmer
[email-masked]
RedHat Certified - RHCE # 803004140609871
MySQL Pro Certified - ID# 207171862
MySQL Core Certified - ID# 205982910
---------------------------
"Something mysterious is formed, born in the silent void. Waiting alone and unmoving, it is at once still and yet in constant motion. It is the source of all programs. I do not know its name, so I will call it the Tao of Programming."

---

From: Jeremy Kister <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 23:21:17 -0500

> even after the object comes up.

As you've observed, an object changing state from 'Down' to 'Up' has
nothing to do with acknowledgment of failure.

It seems as if you're looking for the "ackonup" parameter.  Add to the
top of your config:

ackonup: yes

http://argus.tcp4me.com/config-details.html

-- 

Jeremy Kister
http://jeremy.kister.net./
Got DARP?  http://argus.tcp4me.com/darp.html

---

From: Michael Costello <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 09:13:19 -0500

> It seems as if you're looking for the "ackonup" parameter.  Add to the

Thank you both.  I'll give this a try.

---

From: "Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 11:53:00 -0500

>It seems as if you're looking for the "ackonup" parameter.  Add to the

*Wow*  Where'd that come from..  Please excuse my apparent blindness...  
I was unaware of that one..

THANKS!

"Live in the present, remember the past and fear not the future for it
doesn't exist and never shall.  There is only now."
 - Saphira

---

From: Michael Costello <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:54:36 -0500

> It seems as if you're looking for the "ackonup" parameter.  Add to the

Thanks again.  This accomplishes exactly what I wanted.