Subject: Adding MSN notifications to argus

From: Roberto Alsina <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 14:32:43 -0300

It's pretty easy, too, using msnlib.

Check it out here: 
http://lateral.netmanagers.com.ar/weblog/2008/06/20.html#BB697

-- 
 ("\''/").__..-''"`-. .         Roberto Alsina
 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  KDE Developer (MFCH)
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'  http://lateral.netmanagers.com.ar 
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'     The 6,855th most popular site of Slovenia   
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'       according to alexa.com (27/5/2007) 
                    
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. 
Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, 
by definition, not smart enough to debug it. --Brian W. Kernighan

---

From: New Argus Code <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 14:06:14 -0400

> http://lateral.netmanagers.com.ar/weblog/2008/06/20.html#BB697

Cool..

I know nothing about msnlib, but i would think at least one area should 
be looked at.

in step 3, argus will be overwriting /tmp/XXX when multiple things go 
down concurrently (or quickly)

i'd suggest at least doing >>/tmp/XXX and making sure msnlib can read 
multiple lines of input.

check out http://jeremy.kister.net/code/naim/ for a similar AIM plugin.

-- 

Jeremy Kister
http://jeremy.kister.net./

---

From: Roberto Alsina <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 15:07:01 -0300

> i'd suggest at least doing >>/tmp/XXX and making sure msnlib can read

There is a known bug here in that you can't run multiple copies of the bot at 
the same time, because you can't log into MSN more than once.

A real solution would involve a long-running bot and message passing, or a 
spool folder. But the goal was more to show a basic thing working easily.

The /tmp/XXX is mostly a debugging help for myself, so I can see what crashed 
if it didn't work, it probably shouldn't be there, or be /dev/null (the bot 
crashes if it can't write to stderr, it seems).

> check out http://jeremy.kister.net/code/naim/ for a similar AIM plugin.

A jabber version (for gtalk, for instance) should be trivial as well.

---

From: Jeremy Kister <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 14:23:52 -0400

> crashes if it can't write to stderr, it seems).

oh, i see.  i thought something was reading that file and sending the 
contents via MSN.

yeah, i need IM with argus.  it's too cool.

-- 

Jeremy Kister