Subject: Server Monitoring

From: "Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 22:49:17 -0400

Hi all,

    Is anyone out there using Argus to monitor servers?  I'm looking to 
monitor the CPU and Hard Drive space on the servers ( and maybe other 
stuff ), but I'm not sure how to do this with Argus.  I started looking 
into using net-snmp, but I'm a little overwhelmed with the config for 
this.  In addition, it looks to only monitor load average, and not cpu.

    Is SNMP the only way to do this, or is there something easier?

Thanks,

-- 
---------------------------
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
Engine / Technology Programmer
[email-masked]
RedHat Certified - RHCE # 803004140609871
MySQL Pro Certified - ID# 207171862
MySQL Core Certified - ID# 205982910
---------------------------
"Something mysterious is formed, born in the silent void. Waiting alone and unmoving, it is at once still and yet in constant motion. It is the source of all programs. I do not know its name, so I will call it the Tao of Programming."

---

From: "Robert G. Werner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:23:44 -0700

>    Is SNMP the only way to do this, or is there something easier?
I'm using Cricket to report on these issues.  Argus would be best 
tasked with reporting when thresholds had been exceeded.  Cricket can 
do this as well,  but I don't use it as I'm more interested in long 
term trends than dealing with an imediate crisis.

Argus could do the monitoring by using an ssh/rsh command that 
executes a unix command to find load,  parse it out and report it as a 
number that Argus then tests against a threshold.  Shouldn't be to 
hard to figure out from the docs on the Argus help page.

-- 
In Reach Technology:    http://www.inreachtech.net/

Robert G. Werner
[email-masked]

Tel: 559.304.5122

Windows NT -- it'll drive you buggy!

    -- Gareth Barnard

---

From: "Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 23:24:13 -0400

> term trends than dealing with an imediate crisis.

I'm primarily looking for an alert system at the moment and argus is 
perfect..  Once I have a decent monitoring system in place, I'll start 
dealing with trends and other stuff :)