Subject: Monitoring a dynamic DNS host

From: "Scott Hiemstra" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 12:20:42 -0500

I have a remote office I am trying to monitor but the office does not have a
static IP address, it is simply a Verizon business basic DSL line.  I have
dynamic DNS setup on the router and it works flawlessly.  My problem appears
to be that argus keeps some type of an internal DNS cache.  If I do a
dig/nslookup from the server running argus it gets the correct IP address
everytime but argus doesn't seem to get updated.  If I hup argus, it picks
up the change and all of a sudden my remote host is up.  I waited about an
hour after dyndns had the correct IP just to make sure I wasn't being
impatient.

Any thoughts?

Scott

---

From: Jeff Weisberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 13:53:30 -0500

> hour after dyndns had the correct IP just to make sure I wasn't being

enable argus's internal resolver:
   http://argus.tcp4me.com/advanced.html

otherwise, argus only looks up the IP when it starts.
with resolv enabled, argus will continually look it up
based on the dns server's ttl.