Subject: Monitoring a CVS server

From: Matthew Doar <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Dec 2003 10:50:38 -0800

My argus installation is working very nicely, thank you, with fping,
graphing etc.

When I add the Service Prog though

		Host "cvs" {
			hostname: cvs.trpz.com
			Service Ping
                        Service Prog {
                          command: cvs -d
:pserver:build:[email-masked]:/sw/cvs version
                          expect:^Server: Concurrent Versions System
			  debug: yes
                        }
		}

cvs is marked as Down, and in the httpd errror_log I see 

[Thu Dec 04 10:24:13 2003] [error] [client 192.168.1.55] [1619] (argus
Top:Trapeze:Services:cvs:Prog_cvs_-d_:pserver:build:[email-masked]:~x2Fsw~x2Fcvs_version) ERROR: Unable to access <I>Top:Trapeze:Services:cvs:Prog_cvs_-d_:pserver:build:[email-masked]:/sw/cvs_version</I><BR>404 Object Not Found, referer: http://bob.trpz.com/cgi-bin/arguscgi?object=Top:Trapeze:Services:cvs:Prog_cvs_-d_:pserver:build:[email-masked]:~x2Fsw~x2Fcvs_version;func=page

On the web server, typing 

cvs -d :pserver:build:[email-masked]:/sw/cvs version

I get the expected result:

Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.2 (client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.5 [mch1] (client/server)

Any suggestions why this is failing? Oh, and what does the debug: yes
option do? I see no extra logging anywhere. Read the FAQ (the entry
about this mailing list is obsolete)

~Matt

Matt Doar
Trapeze Networks

---

From: Jeff Weisberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 14:26:29 -0500 (EST)

| When I add the Service Prog though
| 
| 		  Host "cvs" {
| 			  hostname: cvs.trpz.com
| 			  Service Ping
| 			  Service Prog {
| 			    command: cvs -d
| :pserver:build:[email-masked]:/sw/cvs version
| 			    expect:^Server: Concurrent Versions System
| 			    debug: yes
| 			  }
| 		  }
| 
| cvs is marked as Down, and in the httpd errror_log I see 
| [...]

if you check argus's error log (click 'Error Log') you will probably
see errors. you need a space after 'expect:'

| 			    expect:^Server: Concurrent Versions System
                                   ^
                                   | add space here.

| Any suggestions why this is failing? Oh, and what does the debug: yes
| option do? I see no extra logging anywhere.

the debugging info gets set to syslog.
make sure argus is configured to use syslog (your config
should have something like:)
	syslog: daemon
and look where ever your system puts syslog files

if syslog is not enabled, you can also get the debugging info
via argusctl, run:
	argusctl -k console

	--jeff

---

From: Matthew Doar <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Dec 2003 12:56:46 -0800

Thanks for the speedy response.

> see errors. you need a space after 'expect:'

No errors shown in Error Log, and the adding a space after the colon or
the caret made no difference.

[build@bob data]$ /usr/local/sbin/argusctl -k console
ARGUS/2.0 200 OK

DEBUG -
Top:Trapeze:Services:cvs:Prog_cvs_-d_:pserver:build:[email-masked]:/
sw/cvs_version - [] Prog starting - cvs -d
:pserver:build:[email-masked]:/sw
/cvs version
DEBUG -
Top:Trapeze:Services:cvs:Prog_cvs_-d_:pserver:build:[email-masked]:/
sw/cvs_version - [7] Service start
DEBUG -
Top:Trapeze:Services:cvs:Prog_cvs_-d_:pserver:build:[email-masked]:/
sw/cvs_version - [7] Prog read 135 bytes
DEBUG -
Top:Trapeze:Services:cvs:Prog_cvs_-d_:pserver:build:[email-masked]:/
sw/cvs_version - [7] Prog eof
DEBUG -
Top:Trapeze:Services:cvs:Prog_cvs_-d_:pserver:build:[email-masked]:/
sw/cvs_version - [7] Prog exited: 0
DEBUG -
Top:Trapeze:Services:cvs:Prog_cvs_-d_:pserver:build:[email-masked]:/
sw/cvs_version - [7] Prog - done
DEBUG -
Top:Trapeze:Services:cvs:Prog_cvs_-d_:pserver:build:[email-masked]:/
sw/cvs_version - [7] PROG TEST value Client: Concurrent Versions System
(CVS) 1.
11.2 (client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.5 [mch1] (client/server)

DEBUG -
Top:Trapeze:Services:cvs:Prog_cvs_-d_:pserver:build:[email-masked]:/
sw/cvs_version - [7] PROG TEST - curr Client: Concurrent Versions System
(CVS) 1
.11.2 (client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.5 [mch1] (client/server)

DEBUG -
Top:Trapeze:Services:cvs:Prog_cvs_-d_:pserver:build:[email-masked]:/
sw/cvs_version - [7] Service DOWN - PROG TEST did not match expected
regex
DEBUG -
Top:Trapeze:Services:cvs:Prog_cvs_-d_:pserver:build:[email-masked]:/
sw/cvs_version - [7] Service DOWN

> should have something like:)

Already there. The error I sent was from the httpd error_log. I see
nothing else in /var/log/*. argusctl -k console did show debug info
though.

~Matt

> _______________________________________________
> http://argus.tcp4me.com/
> [email-masked]
> http://www.tcp4me.com/mailman/listinfo/arguslist