Subject: Re: no web interface

From: Jeff Weisberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 15:09:30 -0500 (EST)

|  I want to see first the web interface before configure. Is it possible?

http://argus.tcp4me.com

the link labeled 'Screen Shots' has screen shots.
the link labeled 'Demo' has a live demo.

---

From: "Wadams, Peter T (Adecco Tech - Boise)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 13:46:49 -0700

"I want to see first the web interface before configure. Is it
possible?"
   "Does anyone here have a document how to install in a more
understandable way??"

Here's their online demo.  

http://www.tcp4me.com/cgi-bin/argus?object=Top;func=page;top=1

Argus is really easy once you get the hang of it.  It's web interface is
completely archaic - something that I find very appealing. Because of
this, the info is clear and un-cluttered, and you can change a few basic
visual aspects of the web interface, but I haven't found a need. As far
a capabilities, it's very configurable through the config file.
Remember, the setting up the config file is almost everything to setting
up argus.

However, I do agree that the documentation is very weak and you have to
do a lot of trial and error until it "clicks" for you, and you see the
simplicity of it - a problem that could be easily fixed with just a
basic "getting started" & and "for example" type guide (which doesn't
exist).  But then again, it's that way with 99% of all linux apps I've
ever dealt with - there must be a global conspiracy :)  Just follow the
directions on the "docs" page and make educated guesses for stuff that
isn't the same as your setup.  For most infrastructures, a lot of the
stuff in the sample config files are irrelevent and won't be applicable,
so don't let that scare you off.

Before I found argus, I was fighting with big brother, and argus blows
away that junk.  Keep messing with argus, it's worth it.

Good Luck!

Pete.