Subject: inheritable messagedn/messageup?

From: Sebastian Kayser <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 11:34:05 +0100

Hi,

is it possible to define some kind of global messagedn/messageup? 
Currently i am working with message_fmt:

message_fmt:   %t - State %s\nReason: %r\nValue: %v

Obviously reason is not given for a up notification and i don't care about 
the value of a positive test either, so i would like to get rid of them 
for the up message.

The message format for the up notification should solely consist of 
something like:

message_fmt:   %t - State %s

With messagedn/messageup this would be possible, but those are not 
inheritable (and i don't want to define a messagedn/up for each of my ~90 
monitored objects)? Is there another way to do this or could argus be 
enhanced to have inheritable messagedn/messageup?

Regards,

Sebastian Kayser

---

From: Jeff Weisberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 13:22:26 -0500 (EST)

| is it possible to define some kind of global messagedn/messageup? 
| Currently i am working with message_fmt:
| 
| message_fmt:   %t - State %s\nReason: %r\nValue: %v
| 
| Obviously reason is not given for a up notification and i don't care about 
| the value of a positive test either, so i would like to get rid of them 
| for the up message.
| 
| The message format for the up notification should solely consist of 
| something like:
| 
| message_fmt:   %t - State %s
| 
| With messagedn/messageup this would be possible, but those are not 
| inheritable (and i don't want to define a messagedn/up for each of my ~90 
| monitored objects)? Is there another way to do this 

there is not currently any other way to do that.

| or could argus be 
| enhanced to have inheritable messagedn/messageup?

or separate message_fmt(up,dn), or something else,
I'll need to think about that.

	--jeff