Server Monitoring

Robert G. Werner robert at inreachtech.net
Thu Oct 14 19:23:44 EDT 2004

Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    Is anyone out there using Argus to monitor servers?  I'm looking to
> monitor the CPU and Hard Drive space on the servers ( and maybe other
> stuff ), but I'm not sure how to do this with Argus.  I started looking
> into using net-snmp, but I'm a little overwhelmed with the config for
> this.  In addition, it looks to only monitor load average, and not cpu.
>
>    Is SNMP the only way to do this, or is there something easier?
>
> Thanks,

I'm using Cricket to report on these issues.  Argus would be best
tasked with reporting when thresholds had been exceeded.  Cricket can
do this as well,  but I don't use it as I'm more interested in long
term trends than dealing with an imediate crisis.

Argus could do the monitoring by using an ssh/rsh command that
executes a unix command to find load,  parse it out and report it as a
number that Argus then tests against a threshold.  Shouldn't be to
hard to figure out from the docs on the Argus help page.

--
In Reach Technology:    http://www.inreachtech.net/

Robert G. Werner
robert at inreachtech.net