sendnotify vs sendnotify2

Jeff Weisberg jaw+arguslist at tcp4me.com
Mon Sep 20 12:17:00 EDT 2004

| I'm confused about why I was not send a notification when Argus detected a
| particular service down.
|
| I can assume the problem is related to what sendnotify2 can do, that
| sendnotify can not.

not from what I see.

| docs say sendnotify is for objects, and sendnotify2 is for services.  in the
| end, arent services objects ?

yes. services are objects.
'sendnotify' applies to all objects and is not inherited,
'sendnotify2' applies only to services and is inherited.

you can safely ignore 'sendnotify2'.

| the following config did not send a notify when the SNMP service failed.
| Group "Upstream" {
|    sendnotify: no
|    [...]
|    Group "Sprint OC3" {
| 	[...]
| 	Service UDP/SNMP {
| 	   sendnotify: yes
| 	   overridable:    no
| 	   hostname:   man-core-12000-01
| 	   label:      BGP
| 	   minvalue:   6
| 	   oid:     .1.3.6.1.2.1.15.3.1.2.10.0.0.1
| 	}
|    }
| }
|
| would 'sendnotify2: yes' have worked instead of 'sendnotify: yes' ?

it would not have changed anything.
unless there is something fishy somewhere else you have
notifications enabled on the service.

you have 'overridable: no' on the service, is it possible that
a co-worker put an override on the 'Sprint OC3' or 'Upstream'
groups?

	--jeff