expect & pluck troubles

Jeff Weisberg jaw+arguslist at tcp4me.com
Thu Jan 13 15:13:08 EST 2005

| I find that when my configuration includes a pluck, but no expect, my
| test fails "TEST did not match expected regex".
|
| If I "expect:    .*" everything works as I thought it might. If I leave
| the expect: line out, my service always show down.
|
| Here: http://argus.tcp4me.com/xtservices.html there is an example where
| there is no expect:, so I didn't think it necessary.
|
| I threw in some extra debugging into "Service.pm" and found that
| $my->{test}{expect} had some junk in it, starting with "HTTP"

you may find it easier to just click on the 'debugging' link
on the web page.

| Perhaps there's some place where the value of $my->{test}{expect}
| should be cleared, and isn't?

no, this is the correct behavior.

if you use a plain 'TCP' test, everything starts empty.
you add from there.

if you use any of the 'TCP/*' tests, all of the fields
are filled in as appropriate for that protocol.

the TCP/URL test sets various things (including expect)
as appropriate for testing a url with http.

if you are trying to use TCP/URL to test something
that doesn't follow the http protocol, you will need
to either use TCP and build up, or TCP/URL and change
things to match your new and improved protocol.

	--jeff