Downtime reports with argus

jay alvarez nagi0sb0y at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 20 23:04:00 EST 2006

Hi,

Currently we have a nagios-running server used for
monitoring the health of our network services as well
as hosts through check_ping. I haven't played with
nagios reports though, as I am only concerned about
the alert from nagios. We use mrtg for monitoring the
network traffic trend. Before, we are using a custom
script to parse these mrtg logs and output it into a
report like this:

Link Description: link1
Overall Downtime: 16.68 hour/s

Time Down   Time Up    Total     Reference No.

Mon Aug 29 15:03:08 PHT 2005    Mon Aug 29 15:13:11
PHT 2005    0.17 hours      9399
Fri Aug 26 02:03:08 PHT 2005    Fri Aug 26 17:43:12
PHT 2005    15.67 hours     9297
Wed Aug 24 17:43:09 PHT 2005    Wed Aug 24 18:23:09
PHT 2005    0.67 hours      9273
Fri Aug 19 07:22:43 PHT 2005    Fri Aug 19 07:32:44
PHT 2005    0.17 hours      9086

Hours Down: 16.68
Days Down: 0
Monthly Total in Hours: 16.68

We need these reports so that we can compute in case
the customer asks for some rebates, with their
bandwidth usage.

Now the one who created the program went away and when
something went wrong, we weren't able to fix it. Now,
we are just looking for opensource tools that can do
the same. Note, that since the program uses mrtg, mrtg
uses snmp to monitor if the link is down for a certain
period of time. Most of the devices on remote sites of
our customers are snmp-enabled... Someone suggested
using argus.

Can I use argus to produce reports that look exactly
like that above?

Thanks!
-jay