argusctl summary problem

Alexandru E. Ungur alexandru at globalterrasoft.ro
Thu May 11 01:36:32 EDT 2006

>>> sender: "Jeff Weisberg" date: "Wed, May 10, 2006 at 10:50:27AM -0400" <<<EOQ
>

> | Now I only have one wonder: why does it report for Top
> | less then the sum of individual groups?
> | I mean
> | argusctl summary object=Top:Group1 +
> | argusctl summary object=Top:Group2
> | argusctl summary object=Top:GroupN
> |
> | Gives me a total of 139 services up, and 2 overriden.
> | The per group summary is perfect and 100% identical to
> | the one given on the webpage. But why does the Top
> | report less?
>

> the numbers are not the total number of services,
> but the results of a complex algorithm (roughly,
> but not quite, the number of objects 1 or 2 levels
> below the specified object).
>
> the numbers are intended to be an insightful summary
> of the current status.
Umm, but then how insightful is this, if on a level
3 group I do have a service down, but as the Top
summary only takes level 1 and 2 into account, it
would probably say 'down: 0' for the Top summary... ?

Anyway, I am using the monitoring of this number on a
specific group, not Top, and it works there as I would
expect it to, so my problem is solved, but I was just
curious how can that complex algorythm be more useful
than a simple up: X down: Y where the algorythm is
the plain old sum ? I guess there is something I'm
missing...

Thank you,
and great job with Argus :)
It's a really great piece of software, and I can't stop
myself telling this to everybody who mentions 'server
monitoring'... :)

Alex