Monitoring a dynamic DNS host

Scott Hiemstra shiemstra at h2.com
Tue Dec 9 12:20:42 EST 2008

I have a remote office I am trying to monitor but the office does not have a
static IP address, it is simply a Verizon business basic DSL line.  I have
dynamic DNS setup on the router and it works flawlessly.  My problem appears
to be that argus keeps some type of an internal DNS cache.  If I do a
dig/nslookup from the server running argus it gets the correct IP address
everytime but argus doesn't seem to get updated.  If I hup argus, it picks
up the change and all of a sudden my remote host is up.  I waited about an
hour after dyndns had the correct IP just to make sure I wasn't being
impatient.

Any thoughts?

Scott