Diskspace monitoring using SNMP

Scott Hiemstra shiemstra at h2.com
Tue Jul 22 07:12:45 EDT 2008

I've looked through the sample configs and the disk monitoring contrib files
but I'm looking for something a little more streamlined that doesn't require
me to connect to 30 servers and drop in a snippet or require df.  I already
use the "disk /usr" convention in my snmpd.conf and Windows provides the
information right out of the box.  I think my problem is, I'm not sure how
to integrate the data I know how to get into the Argus config.  I'm running
Argus 3.5 if it matters.

Basically, I just want a notification sent if any disk on any system reaches
95% full.

Sample results (UNIX):
HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.8 = STRING: /usr
HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageAllocationUnits.8 = INTEGER: 2048 Bytes
HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageSize.8 = INTEGER: 2477079
HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageUsed.8 = INTEGER: 980715
HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageAllocationFailures.8 = Counter32: 0

Sample results (Windows):
HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.4 = STRING: G:\ Label:Webs  Serial Number
d0b02380
HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageAllocationUnits.4 = INTEGER: 4096 Bytes
HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageSize.4 = INTEGER: 138789543
HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageUsed.4 = INTEGER: 5067355
HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageAllocationFailures.4 = Counter32: 0

1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1 is the OID if needed, you will need the HOST-MIB for
NET/UCD SNMP installed.

Does anyone use this information for storage monitoring instead of the
snippet additions to snmpd.conf using df?  Do you have a config sample?

Thanks in advance,
Scott