Adding MSN notifications to argus

Roberto Alsina ralsina at netmanagers.com.ar
Fri Jun 20 14:07:01 EDT 2008

On Friday 20 June 2008 15:06:14 New Argus Code wrote:
> On 6/20/2008 1:32 PM, Roberto Alsina wrote:
> > It's pretty easy, too, using msnlib.
> >
> > Check it out here:
> > http://lateral.netmanagers.com.ar/weblog/2008/06/20.html#BB697
>
> Cool..
>
> I know nothing about msnlib, but i would think at least one area should
> be looked at.
>
> in step 3, argus will be overwriting /tmp/XXX when multiple things go
> down concurrently (or quickly)
>
> i'd suggest at least doing >>/tmp/XXX and making sure msnlib can read
> multiple lines of input.

There is a known bug here in that you can't run multiple copies of the bot at
the same time, because you can't log into MSN more than once.

A real solution would involve a long-running bot and message passing, or a
spool folder. But the goal was more to show a basic thing working easily.

The /tmp/XXX is mostly a debugging help for myself, so I can see what crashed
if it didn't work, it probably shouldn't be there, or be /dev/null (the bot
crashes if it can't write to stderr, it seems).

> check out http://jeremy.kister.net/code/naim/ for a similar AIM plugin.

A jabber version (for gtalk, for instance) should be trivial as well.

--
 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  KDE Developer (MFCH)
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'  http://lateral.netmanagers.com.ar

by definition, not smart enough to debug it. --Brian W. Kernighan