notification period

ulrik.mikaelsson at canaldigital.se ulrik.mikaelsson at canaldigital.se
Mon Aug 17 06:19:15 EDT 2009

We have the same problem in our organisation. (On-call technicians only work from 07-22)

We have solved the problem by creating a small external application for queing and dispatching notifications. Argus is configured to call the external application by a cli-call to a thin front which calls a daemon over RPC and queues the message to a given target. Messages are then delivered only during certain time-ranges.

Today smartsms.com and email is supported as delivery mechanisms.
The systems also features a method of "resolvers", which can perform routing-functions, such as ldap lookup or on-call-schedule resolution. For example,  "email:ldap(joe)" sends the message over email to joe, as resolved from his ldap-record.

Resolvers and delivery-mechanisms are added as pluggable modules, implemented in Ruby. There is a plugin for resolving on-call schedules, by looking up a MySQL-db. There is also a small external web-app for viewing and editing the MySQL schedule-db.

If there is interest in this, I may be able to convince my employer to releaser this under a suitable open-source license, but without any form of support. If so, please contact me.

Regards
/ Ulrik