feature (or documentation) request

Jeff Weisberg jaw+arguslist at tcp4me.com
Tue May 26 14:23:55 EDT 2009

On 26 May, 2009, at 12:49, Jeremy Kister wrote:

> it'd be nice if argus' config could understand some kind of
> rand() and time()
>
> e.g., i want both functions evaluated at test time.
>

> Group "foo" {
>    # test one of the three hosts on any given poll
>    host: rand(host1 host2 host3)
>    messagedn: %o{hostname} says test foo is broken
>    [...]
> }

I am having trouble seeing how that could possibly be useful.

> Service Prog {
>    # make sure file was created recently
>    cmd:      stat -c %Y /tmp/somefile
>    expect:   ^[0-9]{10}$
>    minvalue: (time() - 3600)
> }

I think you'd be better off, and have more flexibility,
if you move that logic into your external program.

     cmd:      /usr/local/bin/
my_perl_program_that_returns_the_age_of_a_file /tmp/somefile
     minvalue: 3600

you could even do something like

     cmd:    perl -e 'one line perl program that does -M on a file,
some math, and prints it'