Monitoring a CVS server

Matthew Doar matt at trpz.com
Thu Dec 4 15:56:46 EST 2003

Thanks for the speedy response.

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 11:26, Jeff Weisberg wrote:
> | When I add the Service Prog though
> |
> | 		  Host "cvs" {
> | 			  hostname: cvs.trpz.com
> | 			  Service Ping
> | 			  Service Prog {
> | 			    command: cvs -d
> | :pserver:build:secret at cvs.trpz.com:/sw/cvs version
> | 			    expect:^Server: Concurrent Versions System
> | 			    debug: yes
> | 			  }
> | 		  }
> |
> | cvs is marked as Down, and in the httpd errror_log I see
> | [...]
>
> if you check argus's error log (click 'Error Log') you will probably
> see errors. you need a space after 'expect:'

No errors shown in Error Log, and the adding a space after the colon or
the caret made no difference.

[build at bob data]$ /usr/local/sbin/argusctl -k console
ARGUS/2.0 200 OK

DEBUG -
Top:Trapeze:Services:cvs:Prog_cvs_-d_:pserver:build:secret at cvs.trpz.com:/
sw/cvs_version - [] Prog starting - cvs -d
:pserver:build:secret at cvs.trpz.com:/sw
/cvs version
DEBUG -
Top:Trapeze:Services:cvs:Prog_cvs_-d_:pserver:build:secret at cvs.trpz.com:/
sw/cvs_version - [7] Service start
DEBUG -
Top:Trapeze:Services:cvs:Prog_cvs_-d_:pserver:build:secret at cvs.trpz.com:/
sw/cvs_version - [7] Prog read 135 bytes
DEBUG -
Top:Trapeze:Services:cvs:Prog_cvs_-d_:pserver:build:secret at cvs.trpz.com:/
sw/cvs_version - [7] Prog eof
DEBUG -
Top:Trapeze:Services:cvs:Prog_cvs_-d_:pserver:build:secret at cvs.trpz.com:/
sw/cvs_version - [7] Prog exited: 0
DEBUG -
Top:Trapeze:Services:cvs:Prog_cvs_-d_:pserver:build:secret at cvs.trpz.com:/
sw/cvs_version - [7] Prog - done
DEBUG -
Top:Trapeze:Services:cvs:Prog_cvs_-d_:pserver:build:secret at cvs.trpz.com:/
sw/cvs_version - [7] PROG TEST value Client: Concurrent Versions System
(CVS) 1.
11.2 (client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.5 [mch1] (client/server)

DEBUG -
Top:Trapeze:Services:cvs:Prog_cvs_-d_:pserver:build:secret at cvs.trpz.com:/
sw/cvs_version - [7] PROG TEST - curr Client: Concurrent Versions System
(CVS) 1
.11.2 (client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.5 [mch1] (client/server)

DEBUG -
Top:Trapeze:Services:cvs:Prog_cvs_-d_:pserver:build:secret at cvs.trpz.com:/
sw/cvs_version - [7] Service DOWN - PROG TEST did not match expected
regex
DEBUG -
Top:Trapeze:Services:cvs:Prog_cvs_-d_:pserver:build:secret at cvs.trpz.com:/
sw/cvs_version - [7] Service DOWN

> | 			    expect:^Server: Concurrent Versions System
>                                    ^
>                                    | add space here.
>
> | Any suggestions why this is failing? Oh, and what does the debug: yes
> | option do? I see no extra logging anywhere.
>
> the debugging info gets set to syslog.
> make sure argus is configured to use syslog (your config
> should have something like:)
> 	syslog: daemon

Already there. The error I sent was from the httpd error_log. I see
nothing else in /var/log/*. argusctl -k console did show debug info
though.

~Matt