Graphing troubles

Jared Crapo jared at medicity.com
Thu Jun 24 15:21:34 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 06:31, Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 20:13, Jared Crapo wrote:
> > I have recently installed argus, and have been quite pleased with the
> > results.  Today I tried to get graphing to work, and I have had no
> > luck.  I am using the simple config file found on
> > http://argus.tcp4me.com/self.html.  I get empty boxes when I look at the
> > web pages.  I have files in $datadir/gcache, but they all are empty, ie
> > length of 0.  There are no files in $datadir/gdata, which I suspect is
> > the problem.  I looked through the mailing list archives, and couldn't
> > find anything that helped me solve this problem, so I'm posting here in
> > the hope that someone can help.
>
> Let it run for a few minutes...  There may not be enough data to display
> anything yet...
>
> > $ argusctl status
> > ARGUS/2.0 200 OK
> > status:   running
> > version:  3.3
> > perlver:  5.8.3
> > osinfo:   Linux 2.4.25-2mdk i686
> > objects:  5
> > services: 3
> > notifies: 0
> > uptime:   0:07:23
> > idle:     99.84% 99.65% 0.00%
> > monrate:  0.04 0.05 0.00 per second
>
> 7 Minutes uptime is most likely not enough time to have sufficient data
> to show anything in the graph..

OK, now we have:
$ argusctl status
ARGUS/2.0 200 OK
status:   running
version:  3.3
perlver:  5.8.3
osinfo:   Linux 2.4.25-2mdk i686
objects:  5
services: 3
notifies: 0
uptime:   1d 19:01:00
idle:     99.82% 99.71% 99.82%
monrate:  0.05 0.05 0.05 per second

The gdata directory is still empty.  <sad>No pretty pictures.</sad>

> > The $datadir/log file doesn't show any errors, just stuff about parents
> > and children getting SIGTERM'ed and argus restarting.  I have shut down
> > argus and web server (apache) and started them up again.
>
> The sigterms are normal..  They happen when the config changes..
>
> > Can somebody point me in the right direction to try and get this working
> > right?
>
> What does the config look like for your graphing?
Here is the config I am using:

# locations of various items on web pages
bkgimage:       /icons/argus-logo.gif
icon:           /icons/smile.gif
icon_down:      /icons/sad.gif
nospkr_icon:    /icons/nospkr.gif
style_sheet:    /argus.css

# only notify once
autoack:        yes

# who should be notified when things break?
notify:         mail:NOSPAM

Group "Myself" {
        graph: yes
        Service Self/idle {
                title:  Percent Idle
                calc:   ave-rate
                scale:  0.01
                # let someone know when it is time to upgrade h/w
                minvalue:  20
                messagedn: time to buy faster server
        }

        Service Self/tested {
                title:  Monitoring Rate
                ylabel: tests per second
                calc:   ave-rate
        }

        Service Prog {
                # how much memory is argus using?
                # your ps may be different
                command:        ps -p $ARGUS_PID -o vsz | tail -1
                uname:          VSZ
                title:          Memory Use
                ylabel:         kBytes
        }
}

Guess it's time to dust off my camel book and see if I can figure out
what's wrong.

Jared