Database Testing

Jeff Weisberg jaw+arguslist at tcp4me.com
Wed Mar 3 16:26:58 EST 2004

| I am currently monitoring the health of my two slave MySQL servers via some
| perl:
| my $sql = 'show slave status';
| my $sth = $dbh->prepare($sql);
| $sth->execute;
| my $row=$sth->fetchrow_hashref;
| my $slave_io = $row->{Slave_IO_Running};
| my $slave_sql = $row->{Slave_SQL_Running};
|
| print "OK" if(($slave_io eq 'Yes') && ($slave_sql eq 'Yes'));
|
| how can this be monitored from Argus's internal Database Testing Technique ?

I don't know enough about mysql to know what 'show slave status' returns,
but I'd probably do something like:

	Service DB {
		user:		jkister
		pass:		alyssa
		dsn:		dbi:mysql:host=db.example.com;database=mydb
		sql:		show slave status
	}

then I'd start up my web browser, and look at the 'debugging' page
for the service and look at 'db::rbuffer' to figure out what mysql
was returning. then I'd add the appropriate 'expect' to my config.

	--jeff