argusd cpu usage

Jeff Weisberg jaw+arguslist at tcp4me.com
Thu Mar 25 16:14:57 EST 2004

| my Service Self/ide is alarming using Argus-3.3_RC-20040312.  top shows one
| of the argusd processes taking about 100% of my cpu0, and none of my cpu1
| (expectedly).
|
| Is there any good debugging i can do to find out why argusd is taking so
| much CPU?
|
| I am graphing Self/idle as per http://argus.tcp4me.com/self.html.  It shows
| ~90% idle... should the title of this graph and yvalue be "percent not idle"?
|
| debugging Self/idle shows:
| 	srvc::reason SELF TEST less than min
| 	srvc::result 11.5655998585034

I don't understand.
'srvc::result' is the value that is graphed.
above you show '11.56'. where are you getting 90%?

| status:   running
| version:  3.3_RC-20040312
| perlver:  5.8.3
| osinfo:   SunOS 5.8 sun4u
| objects:  1062
| services: 854
| notifies: 125
| uptime:   1:28:57
| idle:     11.72% 11.71% 11.51%
| monrate:  6.07 6.21 6.24 per second

11% idle does seem wrong for so few services being monitored.

I recall there being some performance problems with certain
versions of perl under Solaris. do you have another version
of perl to try?

the only solaris box I have looks like:

    version:  dev-20040204
    perlver:  5.6.1