problems with the depends: directive

Chris Stith ces at famvid.com
Mon Mar 29 11:34:06 EST 2004

I'm running v3.2.1 and am having no joy with the depends:
directive.

I've read befor eon the list archive (thanks Josef) that
the directive must be the first thing in a group and that
in version 3.2.1 something cannot depend on a service.

I have groups, hosts, and services set up to depend on
other things. Some are set up to depend on particular
server45s, switches, or routers, and some are set up to
depend on services. None of them seem to work.

I do have nested groups, n case that makes a difference.

Here's an abbreviated snippet of the config which shows
what I mean (with names and addresses changed to protect
the innocent, and other interfaces which only differ by
name and OID removed):

Group "Townname" {
        depends: Top:Monitortown:mainrouter
        Host "1town2610" {
                hostname: 10.0.0.3
                Service Ping
                Group "Serv" {
                        depends: Top:Townname:1town2610:Ping_10.0.0.3
                        Service TCP/Telnet
                        Service UDP/SNMP {
                                label: Ethernet0/0 (int 1)
                                messagedn: %O Ethernet0/0 (int 1) is
DOWN
                                messageup: %O Ethernet0/0 (int 1) is UP
                                oid: .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8.1
                                expect: 1
                        }

                }
        }
        Host "1towndialup" {
                depends: Top:Townname:1town2610
                hostname: 10.0.0.10
                Service Ping
                Group "Serv" {
                        depends: Top:Townname:1towndialup:Ping_10.0.0.10
                        Service TCP/Telnet
                        Service UDP/SNMP {
                                label: FastEthernet0 (int 2)
                                messagedn: %O FastEthernet0 (int 2) is
DOWN
                                messageup: %O FastEthernet0 (int 2) is
UP
                                oid: .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8.2
                                expect: 1
                        }

                }
        }
        Host "5towndialup" {
                depends: Top:Townname:1town2610
                hostname: 10.0.0.206
                Service Ping
                Group "Serv" {
                        depends:
Top:Townname:5towndialup:Ping_10.0.0.206
                        Service TCP/Telnet
                        Service UDP/SNMP {
                                label: Ethernet0 (int 1)
                                messagedn: %O Ethernet0 (int 1) is DOWN
                                messageup: %O Ethernet0 (int 1) is UP
                                oid: .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8.1
                                expect: 1
                        }
                }
        }
}

If memory serves, the "Top:Townname:1towndialup:Ping" version didn't
work either, and the logs actually said it couldn't be resolved that
way or something. (Not that my memory is necessarily serving me well
today.)

I would at least, from the descriptions I've read, expect the
"depends: Top:Townname:1town2610" part to work. It doesn't. I've been
wondering if that has to do with the groups being nested.

--
Chris S.
ces at famvid.com
Family Online, 888-332-6843