Resolv abnormalities

Jeremy Kister argus-01 at jeremykister.com
Fri Feb 11 18:50:09 EST 2005

Using the new Resolv feature of 20050207, I'm getting seemingly random
DNS lookup failures.  These failures are few and far apart.  Argus sends
an alert saying an object is down, and then in a few seconds sends an
alert saying it's back up.

for example:

name TCP/FTP
status down
...because cannot resolve hostname
hostname jeremy-03
port 21

Thu 10 Feb 16:04:34 2005  up  TRANSITION - up
Thu 10 Feb 16:03:20 2005  down  TRANSITION - down

using 'dig' on the recursive servers in /etc/resolv.conf during the
alleged DNS failure produces the expected records.

note that all recursive servers in /etc/resolv.conf are served by
dnscache of djbdns, the most elegant dns package in the world.

I was going to start mucking with the Resolv key:value pairs (from
config-new.html), but dont have enough confidence that I know what they
do (frequency and timeout are not listed Config Params).

--

Jeremy Kister
http://jeremy.kister.net/