Additional group memberships for argusd user

Sebastian.Kayser at bifab.de Sebastian.Kayser at bifab.de
Wed Nov 30 09:59:52 EST 2005

arguslist-bounces at tcp4me.com, 25.11.2005 19:03:49:

> how are you starting argus?
>
> are you logging in as argus and running argusd?
> or are you starting argusd as root and having it change
> userid/groupid by passing it '-u' and/or -g'?

Sorry for the delay, i have been out of office for some days.
argus is started by root (either by hand or during system startup via an
init script) and switches its user/group to the ones given by -u and -g.

/usr/local/sbin/argusd -u argus -g argus

> > And why then do the permission not
> > suffice (as root should be able to read anything)?
>
> the root *user* has permission to read anything.
> unix does not give any special permission to group 0.

Thanks for the enlightenment, this one was new to me.

Cheers,

Sebastian