Cron Confusion.. Continued... *ugh*

Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold friz at godshell.com
Thu Sep 8 08:20:38 EDT 2005

jeff.howard at centrelink.gov.au wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>From memory, there was something to do with the use of "0" in the time
>spec. - notice Scott's timespec. doesn't have any zeros in it. From
>memory,  the 0 was handled the same as no value (undef) in the logic of
>one of the sub-routines in Cron.pm. The result was that the job was
>executed once, but when the code tried to reschedule it silently failed.

Hrm..  That's interesting..  I think I use 0 in all of the different
crons I set up ...

I also thought taht *maybe* the issue was with where in the config I had
cron declared.  The other night I moved the definition to be at the
"top" of the service definition, and to my surprise, it seems to have
worked.  It's worked for the past 2 days.  This morning, I adjusted the
cron time to something non-zero and I'm waiting to see what happens
tonite...

>With my external "cron" script being stable, I haven't needed to look at
>3.3 with respect to this problem.

Heh..  I never thought to use an external script to do this..  Doh :)

>Hope this helps.

It does..  If all else fails, I have a fallback plan now..  :)

>---
>Cheers, Jeff

Jason