monitor free disk space

Alexandru E. Ungur alexandru at globalterrasoft.ro
Thu May 11 12:20:58 EDT 2006

>>> sender: "Matt.A.Cleveland at healthnet.com" date: "Thu, May 11, 2006 at 08:53:36AM -0700" <<<EOQ
> I do system testing such as this via script invoked by SSH.
I used to do that too, but I found it way too CPU expensive.
Probably what I use now it's not the best, but works much better
then using SSH:

1. On argus config I have:

Service Prog {
    severity: major
    label: Storage
    command: /usr/bin/nc $DOMAINNAME $PORT
    expect: OK
}

2. on the monitored host I have netcat listening for connections:

    monitoring_script.sh | nc -l -p $PORT

running in a 'infinite' cycle. You can achieve the cycle with plain
old while:

--- beware: untested code ---
    while :; do
        monitoring_script.sh | nc -l -p $PORT
    done &

or better from [x]inetd or daemontools. I do prefer daemontools for
the job, but that's just me, use what you feel comfortable with.

The entire setup works like a charm :)
and saved me from learning SNMP ;)

Good luck!
Alex