Problems with Access Lists

Richard Passman rpassman at radime.com
Tue Feb 20 15:57:46 EST 2007

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply, we've been using Argus for nearly 2 years, but
we're about to start offering individual customer access - hence the trials.

Jeff Weisberg wrote:

>| Using version 3.4 this config almost works;
>| (Users file needs an extra entry for the cust2 entry to be valid!)
>
>I do not understand. what do mean by 'needs an extra entry to be valid'?
>are you getting an error message somewhere?
>valid how?

The last entry in the Users file doesn't seem to work. If I add a dummy
entry (i.e. the cust3 in my users example) the the last but one entry
works... confusing I know - let me try again...
Users File
argus        any        Top    root
staff    any         Top        staff
cust1    any    Top:Cust1    cust1
cust2    any    Top:Cust2    cust2

Cust2 access doesn't work

if I add an extra dummy entry
i.e.
argus        any        Top    root
staff    any         Top        staff
cust1    any    Top:Cust1    cust1
cust2    any    Top:Cust2    cust2
cust3    any    Top:Cust3    cust3

cust2 now works.

I haven't as yet found in the source, where you read the users file in,
to see if I could find anything

>| i.e.user argus can get to everything,
>| user cust1 can just look at the data for cust1
>
>correct.
>is this not what you expected?

yes - I was being complete with my explanations :-)

>| user cust2 can look and has the buttons for notifys, but gives a
>| permissions error when trying to access the notifylists
>
>the notify-list, un-acked notify-list, and error-log are
>top-level system-wide lists, they are not per object. so
>the per-object acl is not used.

Just as your email came in I found the code in the source that confirms
this.

>but, in your config, you can say:
>	shownotiflist:	yes

This seems to be on by default.

>and a list of notifications will be listed on each page
>for that particular object.
>

>| Using version Dev-20070218 subtle differences
>| user cust1 gets a permissions error when trying to look at its top page
>
>previously, you could not mix and match between the simple-mode and
>extended-mode acl parameters. the current dev code lets you mix and
>match, but a) it hasn't been well tested yet, so there may still be
>some glitches and b) I've changed my mind at least twice recently on
>what exactly happens when mixing and matching.

Ok understand. More than happy to do some testing for you if you do more
revisions. We want to be able to allow the customer to ack their notifys
only but I can see now that this may be difficult to implement.

Thanks