"invalid entry" for the Resolv / stops responding

Mark Duling mark.duling at biola.edu
Thu Sep 13 15:11:14 EDT 2007

Discussion about Argus <arguslist at tcp4me.com> writes:
>| Q1) I am getting an "invalid entry" in my config for the statement:
>|
>| # enable built in resolver
>| Resolv
>

>there is nothing wrong with this line by itself.
>if you are getting an error, it may be related
>to something in your config before this line.

Sorry to take so long to reply.  I wanted to make sure I had accurate
information.

You are right.  There was a problem above that statement that I fixed.

>| Argus seems to stop responding after a few days even though the
>| processes are still running
>

>stopped responding how? responding to what?
>please explain.

I set argus to check two webservers, and as a test I set it to check a
nonexistent service on each server.  It notifies me every 5 minutes via
email (postfix) as it should for about 1.5 days and then stops notifying
me.  Yet argus is still running, and I can manually send messages via
postfix so I know it is still healthy.  Everything looks normal:

argusctl status:

ARGUS/2.0 200 OK
status:    running
version:   3.5
perlver:   5.8.8
osinfo:    Darwin 8.10.0 Power Macintosh
darpmode:  disabled
objects:   20
services:  14
notifies:  2
uptime:    1d 19:11:33
idle:      99.81% 99.81% 99.81%
monrate:   0.09 0.09 0.09 per second

ps -ax |grep Argus
 8778  ??  Ss     0:00.00 Argus

 8779  ??  S      5:31.99 Argus

This behavior is consistent over repeated tests.  ~1.5 days and no more
notifications.  But I just noticed that when I check the "notifications"
button in the web interface I don't see any recent notifications listed.
Only some from a previous test a few weeks ago.  That is the best I can
describe it.  Any help is appreciated.

Mark