Home made resolver - why ?

David TAILLANDIER david.taillandier at lmj.fr
Sun Nov 29 11:24:53 EST 2009

Okay, first test, first problem  :-)

/var/argus/log contains tons of:
--> RESOLV recv failed: refused connection

I look inside the code and discover that the resolver code is home-made,
instead to be the regular library call. There is a good reason, for
sure. But in my case, this piece of code just don't work.

cat /etc/resolv.conf
--> nameserver xx.xx.xx.xx
--> nameserver yy.yy.yy.yy
The first server is down today. Argus's code break. Regular library call
don't.

The real problem with that is: don't using standard feature often lead
to problems.
We can't use the nice-and-new functionnality added to libc resolver. For
example /etc/gai.conf in my Debian servers. Or any system hack,
modification, etc. Someone else already wrote a good resolver and Perl
have access to it.

I'm not comfortable enought with Perl (as seen in http://fanal.fr) to
hack the code. Maybe someone have a diff for let Resolv.pm use the
standard library call ?