Home made resolver - why ?

Jeff Weisberg jaw+arguslist at tcp4me.com
Mon Nov 30 09:23:30 EST 2009

On 29 Nov, 2009, at 11:24, David TAILLANDIER wrote:

> Okay, first test, first problem  :-)
>

> /var/argus/log contains tons of:
> --> RESOLV recv failed: refused connection

this is normal, it is not an error.
it means the nameserver was down.
argus will then try the next one.

> I look inside the code and discover that the resolver code is home-
> made, instead to be the regular library call. There is a good
> reason, for sure. But in my case, this piece of code just don't work.
>
> cat /etc/resolv.conf
> --> nameserver xx.xx.xx.xx
> --> nameserver yy.yy.yy.yy
> The first server is down today. Argus's code break. Regular library
> call don't.

I don't understand.
what broke?
did something not work?
what did not work?

> The real problem with that is: don't using standard feature often
> lead to problems.
> Someone else already wrote a good resolver and Perl have access to it.

yes, "someone" wrote a good resolver, and "someone" included in the
argus distribution.

> I'm not comfortable enought with Perl (as seen in http://fanal.fr)
> to hack the code. Maybe someone have a diff for let Resolv.pm use
> the standard library call ?

the "hack" is to remove the "Resolv" line that you put in your config
file.

argus only uses its own resolver if you tell it to.

if you remove the "Resolv" line from your config file,
argus will use the library code that you seem to like better.