Compute Service

jeff weisberg jaw+arguslist at tcp4me.com
Wed Feb 1 12:54:31 EST 2012

On 1 Feb 2012, at 10:24, Jeremy Kister wrote:

> must expr have a %{ Top:object } to math ?

yes.

'compute' was intended to be used for computing something
based on the results of other monitored services.

> Or, there a reason that something like:
>
> Service Compute {
> 	debug:	yes
> 	expr:	500 + 1
> }
>
> will make the compute service continuously fail with:
> Service start
> start compute
> service not ready: Top:Foo:Cluster1:SSG:licenses
> Service done

I see no way these messages could come from that config.
they came from something with a '%
{Top:Foo:Cluster1:SSG:licenses}' (and something else) in the expr.

> I realize the compute of a static expr may seem odd, but it is very
> convenient to get a variable into Argus as an object.

yes, that seems odd.

you want argus to calculate 1 + 2? why? so argus can page you if Q
changes the laws of mathematics?

> > cat 123_test
> #!/usr/local/bin/perl
>
> my %data = (one => 1,
>            two => 2,
>           );
>
> cat <<__EOA__
> Group "Test123" {
>  Service Compute {
>   expr: $data{one} + $data{two}
>   uname: foo
>  }
> }

your example is generating an argus config using perl.
perl can add numbers together itself:

	my $x = 500 + 1;
	print "$x\n";